Wednesday, November 22, 2023

And Again

I needed to fill one of our propane bottles and it dawned on me that tomorrow was Thanksgiving here in America, and then Friday is that horror of horrors they call Black Friday and I try to avoid both of those days like the plague. So today was the day to run in and get ourselves ready for a couple of days hiding out here along the American Girl. The hordes won't find us here although, from all the toy haulers passing by on Obilby Road today, the Dunes to the west of us will be a busy spot this weekend.
I took this shot above as I left this morning on my ramble across the desert and shortly after this dead tree caught my eye.
And then as I returned I walked by that same old tree and the different light changed the whole view. Almost looks like one of those critters the folks were riding around in the movie Avatar was frozen in time and turned to wood.
We brought some leftovers home from our lunch yesterday and I do believe they were even better today than they were yesterday, so thanks again Don. Then I spent the rest of the day setting out watching the 3 Hummers we have here dogfighting and zooming back and forth in front of me. They are entertaining little critters and it is a good thing they are hardly bigger than a bumblebee, as agressive as they are. They are cool to capture with the camera, but it takes a little patience, and a well charged battery. Today I took about 750 images of them, and picked what I think are the best three to share with you folks.
So that is a hit rate of about 0.4%, now there were a bunch that were decent but these were my picks. With todays camera's there's not really a lot of terrible ones, but my first pass through I threw out about 650 of them as not worth keeping, and then the next time through whittled about another 50 out, most as pretty much duplicates of something I kept or Hummers, just like people, sometimes blink and we all know how folks hate those pictures so off to the round file they went as well. I did keep one of the terrible one just to post here though.
So for all our American readers, enjoy your day tomorrow and hope you are lucky enough to spend it with family or friends and eating to much.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Browns this is the Pitmans back in Texas. You know we had moved to Colorado for sometime but when my son in law passed away my daughter wanted to move back to Texas...so being the doe ding parents we are we came back. Just thinking about you two and went to see your blog and viola! Hope you have a good Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard you moved back, in fact in one of our southern migration plans for this fall we had a route mapped out through Colorado that had us searching out your spot there for a visit, but then you up and moved so we came back west and down I-15 to Arizona and California. We are hiding in the desert for Thanksgiving and won't come out of our foxhole until the Black Friday folks have all drug themselves back home.

      Delete
  2. I love the first photo! It is hauntingly beautiful.
    In the tree, I see dolphins cavorting, on the way back I see a sea serpent chasing those same dolphins. It is an amazing thing to see so many variations in one dead tree. Light and direction do make a huge difference.
    Like you we try to avoid the rush of any holidays and do our business a day or two before. Neither of us like the crowds.
    The dust from the dunes will make some great sunset photos!
    Happy Thanksgiving (even though we are Canadian) to you and Brenda.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tree is a staple on my morning walks, I don't always shot it, but I always go by to see what it is up to each morning. And yes, the dust over the Dunes does liven up the sunsets.

      Delete