Friday, November 17, 2023

A Different Sort of Day

I started off my walkabout this morning in a bit of fog. It was really quite different, the shot below is a panorama of my view for much of the ramble. I would say visibility was about 8-10 paces.
It was really quite disorienting in a kind of cool way. When your sight is handicapped your other senses take over and especially your hearing, the crunch of your footsteps, as you wander through the desert. Ghostly cacti appearing out of the mist and the disappearing again. Weird but I am sure welcome for the flora and fauna that call this place home. Those desert tortoises I talked about a few days ago probably depend on these mists and the accompanying humidity to get a sip or two of liquid into their diet.
That is a shot of our rig as I left walking into the mists of time. Brenda figured I should stay home but I thought with all of the technology we have at hand now, the likelihood of me disappearing forever were quite slim. That and the fact that I have walked all over this desert for years and only once saw a tortoise here, I got to thinking maybe they are only out and active on days like this. Sure enough when I stopped and listened I was certain I could hear the sounds of their footsteps and maybe the echos of their shells clunking together as they snuck through the fog in migrating herds. Can't prove it but I am sure they are out there.
I did enjoy the time in a the sensory deprivation tank though, but as I finished my wander the mists started to burn off and the sun shone through.
And by the time I got back to DPA the day was warming up and we were once again tortoise free.

5 comments:

  1. Your words make it sound like walking through fog in the desert is both interesting and fun. Your pictures make it look mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, and kind of interesting, to do more listening than looking.

      Delete
  2. Great post. I enjoyed the desert stroll with you.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good thing you were safe walking around in that fog. You could have stumbled on a rabid attack tortise and you day might have gotten off to a very bad start! :cD

    ReplyDelete