Saturday, July 26, 2014

Not a Picture to be Seen

We seem to be having a pretty nice summer up here north of the Medicine Line. After a pretty wet June, which is kind of normal for us, the weather heated up a lot and the Calgary Stampede had spectacular weather with almost everyday in the 80's and nary a cloud in sight. So maybe there is something to this global warming thing after all, in the past we probably only got about a half dozen days over 80 every year and I am thinking we are already at that point with our hottest month, August, still to come.

In my last journal entry I mentioned that we finally got some seed in the ground on the last acres of the place. Pretty quick after that Bob, the fellow who farms our place, started cutting a small part of the hay that we seeded last year. It had a pretty good volunteer crop of rye mixed in with it so it will probably end up being cattle feed.

About all the excitement we have had around here the last few days is the preparation for Lacey's wedding in Jamaica, a ways off in February. Lace and her mom, along with her sister Bec, and a couple of other bridesmaid girls were off yesterday on the hunt for the perfect wedding dress. Although no pictures were taken the only report is that she is going to make a beautiful bride, which is no surprise to me anyway. Brenda was pretty excited to go along on the search and even though she is restricted to crutches all reports said that Lacey's bridesmaids took wonderful care of her all day.

Well she was off on the dress hunt I decided I should head out into the West Country and see what I could see. It had been years since I had really driven many of the roads out West and it is always interesting to see what changes had been wrought on the landscape. Remembering that a lot of my working life was spent searching for gas and oil out there is was great to see the final product of my labours. Most of the seismic lines are now being used by ATV's and offroading folks, and of course some of what were just rudimentary trails in the distant past are now pretty nice roads. Of course I had my camera's with me so although there were no pictures of our beautiful bride to be I did manage to catch a few shots of some of our local denizens of the woods.

The whole band of wild horses, four mares, one colt and the stud off to the left

Here is a close up picture of the herd sire.
Watcher in the Woods
The wildflowers were spectacular along the way also.
So there a few pictures of my activities and a second blog in a month. who knows maybe we'll get three next month.

5 comments:

  1. I love the photos of the horses and the deer. Everything looks so peaceful there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice round-up of happenings around your ranch. You did get some mighty fine photos while out on your country drive.

    Brenda out shopping with Lacey and her bridesmaids to be must have been a fun day; crutches or no crutches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must be a thrill to see all those wild horses, especially for a horse lover like you! :c)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly what you mean about no pictures of shopping for wedding gowns etc. Strictly prohibited here too!

    The wild horse pics are great though and so are the wildflowers.

    ReplyDelete