Friday, October 10, 2014

A Beautiful Indian Summer Day

Today was a beautiful day here at Dogpound North. The temps were in the high 20's (`70F) so it was a shirt sleeve day. I ran into the city early today to pick up my boots at Alberta Boot. For those of us who live close enough, when you need sole on your boots they take them back to the factory and rebuild them from scratch for you. I was expecting the Whitlow's to come and move their cows back home for the winter so I put the horses in the yard and loaded Max and Maya up for the ride to town and back. They really love to jump in the truck and go for a ride.

Shortly after we arrived back home the Whitlow's showed up. They pasture a bunch of cows in the place just south of ours and because there are no pens down there, each fall they bring their herd up and load them out of our pens. It is a family operation so Grandma Joyce and Grandpa Brian, Jeff and Lori, as well as their kids all take an active part. Consequently the only thing I do is sit on the fence and tell stories. Funny how as I get older, my job gets to look more and more like my fathers. Oh well, good thing he left me with a lot of great stories. And of course in an old family tradition I am more than capable of adding details as required.

Sheridan and Lori are digging the cattle out of a fence corner

Lori riding and Grandma Joyce on foot

The whole family is involved in this operation.

Great Helpers, Sheridan and Gus

Sheridan and her good little cow pony.

Our "Border Collie", Maya, could care less about cows, she is really a princess and that is probably below her, but old Max, the Beagle Cross, took an opportunity to hurry those cows into the trailer. Don't think either of them are going to be cleaning up at the stock dog competitions though.

Once the cows were gone the DPN horses were back down in their winter pasture to enjoy this fine fall day.
Rosie enjoying the twilights last gleaming

And the sunsets on another fine day at Dogpound North

6 comments:

  1. Ya, I qualify for that leaning on the fence post detail too..... Wow the colors in that last photo.....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In a former life, I would have loved to be one of those cowgirls rounding up the cattle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun operation to be able to sit and watch. Getting older has its rewards, doesn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog coloured with fine thought and photos. It has been a nice fall out on the coast too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm all for watching younger folks work too - I've done my share for this lifetime!

    Beautiful sunset photo!

    ReplyDelete